Monday, September 14, 2015

Latest pots from the wood-fired kiln


This year wasn’t particularly productive in terms of ceramics. I began making the first batch of pots only in July-August and managed to wood-fire some of them only this month. My top three favourites are shown in the images above. The one marked ‘C’ is inspired by the Namban ware. Images below show the same three pots in the main chamber of the wood-fired kiln before and after firing.

Images below show another three pots. One of my intentions this time was to create bright red and yellow pots for shohin bonsai. Pots marked ‘D’ and ‘E’ are my failed attempt to produce bright yellow. 'E' was just an afterthought. I made it in 15 minutes from a small piece of leftover clay. The scarlet glaze of the pot ‘F’ came out so bright that it is almost hurts my eyes. A rather remarkable result considering it’s wood-fired stoneware and the glaze is non-glossy.   

Below are the details for each pot:
A – Round, blue glaze, wheel-thrown, 19 x 7 cm
B – Round, red glaze, wheel-thrown, 11 x 6 cm
C – Round, unglazed, hand-formed, 20 x 3.5 cm
D – Round, yellow glaze, wheel-thrown, 15 x 6.5 cm
E – Rectangular, yellow glaze, hand-formed, 7.5 x 5 x 4 cm
F – Round, red glaze, wheel-thrown, 11 x 4 cm

2 comments:

Diana Studer said...

Do you make the pots for your own plants?
Or do you sell them?

Kigawa said...

I make bonsai pots solely for my own amusement and avoid selling them for a number of boring reasons.